Prepare to savor a mouthwatering breakfast experience with these delectable Vegan Breakfast Tacos. Combining the flavors of a traditional Mexican-inspired breakfast with a savory twist, these tacos are a delightful and nutritious way to start your day.
Not only are they incredibly easy to make, but they are also gluten-free and highly adaptable to suit your taste preferences. With just 10 minutes of preparation time, these tacos are ideal for busy mornings and even help save time with meal prep. Trust me, once you've tried them, you won't be able to resist their charm. It's time to indulge in a breakfast that's packed with flavor, convenience, and pure love for plant-based goodness.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
I'm constantly on the lookout for new breakfast recipe inspiration. Yes, I love my Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal, and I'm always in the mood for some Strawberries and Cream Overnight Oats, but sometimes a gal wants something a bit savory.
When visiting Philadelphia a few summers ago, I had the opportunity to have breakfast at PS & Co after one of my races. They had breakfast tacos on the menu that were insanely delicious. When I came home, I put my spin on my own version, and I'm excited to share these Vegan Breakfast Tacos with you! This recipe is:
- Quick & Easy. Whip up a batch of my Simple Tofu Scramble using whatever veggies, herbs & spices you like. It takes just 10 minutes. From there, load into tortillas and top with all your favorite taco fixings. Easy peasy, vegan squeezy.
- Endlessly Versatile. One of the things I love about tacos of any kind is how easy they are to customize. Use corn or flour tortillas, firm or soft tofu in your scramble, and whatever mix-ins or toppings you desire. Read on for plenty of breakfast taco inspiration!
- Meal-Prep & Freezer-Friendly. The tofu scramble will keep in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for up to a month. You can even wrap up vegan breakfast burritos for a quick, heat-and-eat breakfast!
Ingredients & Substitutions
You don't need many ingredients to make a stellar vegan breakfast taco. Here's what I suggest:
- Simple Tofu Scramble - This simple recipe takes just 10 minutes to whip up. Start with a block of pressed tofu, then add whatever veggies or add-ins your heart desires.
- Black Beans - Regular canned black beans are quick, protein-packed, and super delicious. Feel free to swap in Cuban beans, pinto beans, or vegan refried beans if you prefer!
- Jalapeño - Remember that most of the heat lives in the membranes and seeds, so if you prefer more of a mild flavor, just be sure to remove them before mincing. You can also swap in a more mild pepper (like bell peppers) or a spicier one (like serrano or habanero) to suit your tastes.
- Tortillas - Corn tortillas are more likely to be gluten-free, but if gluten isn't a no-no, feel free to swap in flour instead.
- Optional Toppings - These are just a few of my favorites, but feel free to riff as you wish!
- Vegan Sour Cream/Greek Yogurt
- Hot Sauce
- Fresh Cilantro
- Sliced Green Onions
- Pickled Red Onions
How to Make Vegan Breakfast Tacos
These savory vegetarian breakfast tacos will be ready before you know it. Here's how they're made:
Step 1: Make the tofu scramble. Add any veggies or herbs and spices your little heart desires!
Step 2: Add beans and chilies. When cooked, add the beans and jalapeño into the pan and cook until warmed through.
Step 3: Assemble and serve! Add the mixture to warmed tortillas. Top with salsa and vegan cheese if desired.
One of the best attributes of these vegan breakfast tacos is how versatile they are. Here are some of the easiest, tastiest ways to customize them to your liking:
- Make 'Em Less Spicy. I made my breakfast tacos with jalapeños and hot salsa, but if you're not a spicy person, you can omit the jalapeños and use mild salsa. Either way, these tacos will make a tasty breakfast!
- Add Vegan Protein. Toss in vegan bacon, sausage, buffalo chicken, raw walnut meat, or any other protein that tickles your fancy.
- Add Vegan Cheese. Try my Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce, Vegan Cashew Queso, Vegan Tofu Feta Cheese, Vegan Mozzarella Cheese, Vegan Parmesan Cheese Alternative, or any of these Ultimate Vegan Cheese Recipes.
- Make 'Em Crunchy. Crunchy corn taco shells sound like a phenomenal way to start the day, or trade in the shells and do some breakfast nachos!
- Go Burrito-Style. Try using larger wraps, throw in some brown rice, and do a burrito fold. Pro Tip: These breakfast burritos are great for freezing for up to a month. Mix and match your additions to keep breakfast fresh all month long!
- Or Bowl-Style. Vegan breakfast burrito bowl? Yes, please!
- Meal Prep. Whip up a batch of tofu scramble on the weekend, then load into taco shells or tortillas as you need them.
- Frozen Vegan Breakfast Burritos. Wrap up your scramble into larger tortillas, do a burrito fold, then pop them in the freezer for up to a month. Reheat by wrapping in a damp paper towel and microwaving for 3-4 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
- Make a Breakfast Taco Bar. Want to serve these savory breakfast tacos for a weekend brunch? Set up a serve-yourself taco bar with a tortilla warmer, 1-2 different types of tofu scrambles, and all the fixings you can think of. Your guests will love it! Serve alongside some Vegan Banana Nut Muffins and Vegan Yogurt Parfaits for something sweet. And don't forget the coffee!
Are Vegan Breakfast Tacos Healthy?
Tofu is protein-packed and contains a high dose of calcium and iron—just be sure to use a non-GMO and organic type. All the protein can help keep your body feeling full and satisfied until lunchtime. For a deeper dive into the possible nutritional benefits of tofu, check out this post.
In my opinion, these breakfast tacos are even tastier when you add extra vegetables to the mix. Depending on the veggies you use, you'll get different vitamins and phytochemicals, so shake things up and try to "eat the rainbow" throughout the week!
Can I use silken tofu to make the tofu scramble filling?
Absolutely! Silken tofu is a great way to replicate the texture of a softer scrambled egg.
Are breakfast tacos just a Texas thing?
Considering I'm a born and bred Northeasterner, I'd go ahead and say a big fat NO! Breakfast tacos—or really any tacos—are great at all times of day or night, no matter where you live.
What can I use as a substitute for eggs if I don't like/can't eat tofu?
Nowadays, there are several vegan egg substitutes available in the refrigerated section of most large, well-stocked supermarkets. If you happen to try one that you love, let me know in the comments below!
Vegan Breakfast Tacos
Author: Mary Ellen Valderde
These Vegan Breakfast Tacos are a savory take on breakfast with a Mexican-inspired twist. They're easy to make, gluten-free, and easily customizable. They only take 10 minutes to make and are perfect for meal prep.
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 5 from 2 votes
NOTES: This nutrition information does not include taco shells because there are so many variations, and I cannot assume to know which you would use. The nutrition information for the tofu scramble can be found on that page.
PLEASE NOTE: Nutritional information data is computer generated and only an estimate, so it should be used only as a guide.